12.25.2005

"That's FOOD? I thought it was some sort of weird lubricant or something"

Yes, indeed, Dad. That's food.

My awesome dad sagged for me on Christmas Eve, when I went out and ran 12 miles through the rural farmlands of Virginia. I forgot to count the number of gunracks I saw, but I don't think it was fewer than 10). My mom actually volunteered to meet me at halfway, and then somehow pawned it off on my dad (this was after I tried to con her into riding her bike along beside me to keep me company.)

So out I ran, me and my iPod, alone, passing cows and sheep and chickens and the occasional roadkill. When my dad met me, he gave me the water and as I refilled, I asked him to pass me the food (note to self: do not eat Wheaties at 10 am and then try to run 12 miles at 2 pm without eating anything in between. I was starving.) -- and he looked at me blankly. When I motioned at the Hammer Gel packets and he passed them over, he uttered what will need to be topped as my favorite quote of the year - "that's food? I thought it was some sort of weird lubricant for blisters or something, and I couldn't figure out why it was flavored espresso and raspberry."

I laughed, which carried me a good four miles on the way back (that, and running fast away from the guy with a confederate flag on the back of his car.)

This is why dads rock for sagging. And in general. Merry Christmas!

(belatedly, ok...it's Jan 4 and I am backdating...but that's ok, really)

No comments: