5.13.2006

The Return of the Farmer Tan

Ok, way overdue for an update…today at the workout I overheard Wayne saying something to the effect of “if you’re on the phone and you’re not selling something, or doing something that brings you closer to your Ironman goal, you should be working out!” Then we got a lecture about social time going bye-bye from here til the end (e.g., I had an appointment with my fave waxer Jen at 4 pm and it was a rush for me to get there in time!). Ah…race phase. Or as Raf likes to call it, “sexy phase.” (bodies, maybe – the rest of us, not so much).

Today we swam 3700 yards at Redwood High School, and then rode for 4 hours. Pretty unremarkable swim, except I decked my teammate Stan in the jaw (sorry, Stan…) when I was coming in to the wall. Felt pretty good – this was our longest swim to date.

After the swim we hopped on the trainer, which is fine except it was my inaugural ride (take 2) on the NEW very large Specialized frame. My trainer is a ghetto specimen I (stole) from my ex-ex-ex-roommate Krista's ex-boyfriend Jeremy in 2003. I keep it because it works, and it was free (as things usually are when you steal them). But I didn’t want it to F up my very nice new frame. Took Coach Tom’s assistance to put it on there gingerly, then hopped on. We rode for 45 min to warm up, and then headed out on the road.

Oh, my lord. I love this new bike. It is a sofa, a Cadillac, a pimp daddy whatever you wanna call it riding machine. Sweet and worth every damn dime. We rode Paradise and then some out and backs, to total 1:45 ride time on the road. I very, very mistakenly thought we were done. Alas, no, we were not. This is Ironteam, this is Sexy Phase, and Wayne doesn’t tell you to stop making social plans for no reason!

Back on the trainer for another hour, baking in the now 90 degree parking lot. Feel arms burning to a crisp. Lovely.

We actually got off easy, as it was supposed to be a 4000 yard swim and four hours of riding (but I’m not telling!).

No comments: