11.21.2008

The view from here

3 weeks to go til the end of term 2! We've just finished the most hellacious week (everytime you think it can't possibly get worse, it does). Thankfully, only two days of class next week, and three glorious days off (during which I will be...doing work. But not anywhere in the vicinity of Fuqua, which is enough of a change for me).

To give you a sense: I was in Philly for a few days last week/end for the totally useless Net Impact conference (conference for MBA Do-Gooders). It was a total letdown, and did not live up to my expectations in any way whatsoever. The only positive was hanging out with my friend O from college for a few days. It cost a shitload of money, so I am still annoyed. So when I got home Sunday at noon, I was already 3 1/2 days behind.

Writing this out will never do the rest of the week justice, but for my own sake I'll try. Monday, Marketing Midterm. Tuesday, we had an industry analysis paper (team project) due for Strategy. This might not be so bad except my team picked INVESTMENT BANKING as our industry (note to self: when faced with a project choice, never, ever, ever say "I don't care, just pick something"). It was also intricately connected to our Management Comm class, where we had to give a 45 minute presentation on said industry today. Add in the bloodbath of a Finance midterm ("here's some sample past finals to make you feel confident. Don't worry, the exam will look NOTHING WHATSOEVER like the samples." Prof didn't actually say that. But it would have upped the credibility quotient quite a bit if he had), plus a few recruiting events, my first Global Consulting Project class, and a total shitshow for the Career Reps (of which I am one) organizing Mock Interview Week with 20 companies for two weeks from now and having every line of communication break down....plus all the REGULAR work for the other classes....and, well, you know. This explains why my apt looks like a hurricane hit, I haven't done dishes in a week, and I wore the same pair of jeans three days in a row. Somebody get me a maid!

I have been sick with bronchitis (3rd time this year, Feb, June and Nov!) since Election Day, and am getting pretty tired of hacking up a lung whenever I try to breathe. I've made it to the gym three times in two and a half weeks (25 min max each time), which means I will probably be wearing sweatpants for all of the job interviews in January that I have yet to secure.

But it snowed! Twice! It didn't stick, but it was cool to watch. It was cooler to watch the classmates from India who had never seen snow before. Now it is just freaking cold.

For Thanksgiving I am heading to Cape Hatteras, for the first time in 10 years. I can't wait. It only takes four hours to drive to my parents' in VA but 5 hours to drive to the OBX in the same state...go figure. I have a ton of job cover letters due on Dec 1, so that's what I'll be doing over "break." But classes end Dec 12 and finals are DONE Dec 17 so the end is in sight!!!!!!!!!

And congratulations to RyRy on Baby Girl Looney! If you are reading this already you are even crazier than I thought! And I think giving birth means you probably had a harder week than I did.

3 comments:

hez said...

Yay! You're back!

Anonymous said...

oh holy cow, that did sound like a crappy week. isn't getting an mba fun?

Star said...

OMG...you pay to do this??