10.18.2005

Fights at the pool, and a seeded number @ NYC

The cruelest part about not being in shape to run New York is that I got a seeded number this year, which arrived today. They give the top 2,000 women seeded numbers and we get to start in our own corral (clearly they used my 'estimated' time and not the real thing!). The good news is my friend Ilse and I get to start together. The bad news is I won't see her for another 5 or 6 hours (she can run the race, go home, shower, make a snack and then come back to get me!)

Swim class kicked my butt- first in two weeks. Swam 1800 or so yards - warmup, then 20' straight, then some sprints and builds. On one of the last sprints, we were supposed to go 25 yds w/o breathing (which normally I could do) - but since I'm still getting over being sick, well, I breathed. Skip came over to chastise me - "you could have just taken two more strokes!" - which, being as competitive as I am, did not strike me well. I snapped back at him and told him I had asthma AND a cold (and PS, it's an undergrad PE class). I know I should just relax but I hate not doing something I know I can do and I hate being called on it even more! I saw him after class in the sports cafe and we had a little laugh. So, all is well (and PS, Mo, it's an undergrad PE class...you're not even getting graded).

Really, I am not intense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When is the NYC marathon? I've never been before, but I would love to come out and cheer you on!