10.30.2005

Why do this again?

October, 2005

Friends,

I’m back on the road!

Two years ago you helped me raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as I trained for and completed my first Ironman triathlon. After taking a year off (and learning that I am far better suited to triathlon than knitting), I’ve signed up for another challenge. Ironman USA will be on July 23, 2006 in Lake Placid, New York; I’m seeking your help as I raise at least $10,000 for the Society.

Ironman is still the ultimate challenge - a 2.4 mile swim in open water, followed by a 112 mile bike ride, capped off by a 26.2 mile marathon run – all in a single day. Compared to fighting cancer, Ironman is a walk in the park.

Why do this again? There’s still no cure for cancer. Do I need another reason?

This past year I watched my mom lose one of her best friends, in a matter of weeks, to Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). All I could offer was to put her name on a banner. Somehow that didn't seem right. During the fall of 2003, my dad went through what we feared was a third relapse of his non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma; fortunately, it turned out to be a scare. This past fall, a full 25 years after his first bout with cancer, he was diagnosed with a heart problem that was caused by the toxic levels of his initial chemotherapy. The specter and fear of this disease never, ever goes away.

I don’t remember my family’s life without cancer, but I do know how incredibly lucky I am to have grown up with a father. Without the groundbreaking research that is funded by the Society that might not have been the case.

The human spirit knows no bounds; I’ve been blessed to meet some of the most courageous people alive. Please help me meet my challenge. I greatly appreciate ANY amount that you are able to give – together we’ll make great strides towards raising $10,000 and finding a cure for cancer.

Why do this again? I missed the camaraderie and the friendship, and the purpose bigger than myself. Thank you for helping me along the way.


With Love,
Maureen

P.S. In 2004, you helped me raise an incredible $20,000. I'm asking all who gave last time and my many new friends to consider giving again. Together, we will make a difference!

No comments: