1.08.2006

Colonel Sanders had leukemia

Really, he did.

Saturday - rode 35 miles, first time on bike on the road in a month. Rode with Heather and part of it with the team - most people rode 60 miles, from Sports Basement out to Nicasio and back. We (Heather, though I was the accomplice since I was driving...it was supposed to end in a visit to The Container Store, but that didn't work out) weenied out and drove over the GG Bridge, rode part with the team, and then did the last half of Paradise Loop back to Sausalito. The skies opened up somewhere around Tiburon, and we got drenched. Didn't think the fine folks at The Container Store would welcome two salty/dirty drowned sewer rats, so we drove home. However, first we stopped off at Starbucks for warm coffee, which would be unremarkable except that there was a woman in front of us with full on satin pajamas (not just the tops or the bottoms with some other piece of clothing, for which I might have considered this some sort of avant-garde fashion trend). Nope, this lady had on the whole damn package. With work boots. At 12:15 p.m. In Marin.

Go figure.

Two things this ride made me consider: 1) I may be in kick-ass running shape, but my poor bike needs a little more lovin' than I've been giving him and 2) California is the greatest place in the world. It's January 7 and I am out riding my BIKE with nothing more than a vest, arm warmers, and light tights. Sure, it rained. But then it was sunny. And most of my friends and family back east are fighting snow, sleet, and/or 20 degree weather. We are lucky bastards.

Sunday - After my rollicking Saturday evening (so much sarcasm here...really, kids, can you feel it?), got up at 6:20 to leave at 7 for a few hours' workout. We did core training, then a swim, then a run. I don't like to do anything correctly, and I was supposed to run 10 miles for Napa today, so I did core training, the swim warmup (swam and kicked about 1000 yds total), and then ran in the pool for 90 minutes. Fortunatley (not for him), my teammate Brian hit his knee with a bowling ball the other day, so he ran with me the whole time; this definitely made the time pass much more quickly!

Sadly, the pool was not very deep, and I scraped my foot up on the bottom several times. I don't care about the feet. I care that I f-ed up my pedicure and it is only a week old.

Oh yes, resolution number 4: stop talking like a trucker.

Two final updates:
I know FOUR people who read this! And maybe growing! Our team website (www.ironteam.net) now has a link to everyone's blogs, so I guess I will have to stop talking smack about everyone.

Ryan (one of the original two readers) had a beautiful baby boy, Max. Hooray!

No comments: