2.13.2006

how not to celebrate your birthday

1) A brisk 17 mile run
2) An ice bath and a light lunch
3) A pre-dinner cocktail with friends
4) 3 bottles of wine, split between 12 (including a lovely bottle of Slovenian vino from the Slovene farmer Joseph Rencel, carried 8,000 miles from Eastern Europe to California on my back) and a yummy filet of petrale sole at Foreign Cinema
5) Innumerable cocktails and revelry, shared with wide variety of excellent friends
6) A cab ride home

Oh, did I mention I am 32? While the aformentioned may be ok for someone of say, 23 years of age, for a newly-turned 32 year old lassy like myself, who rarely drinks to begin with, it is a miserable recipe for disaster. Tailoring step five would have gone a long way.

Needless to say, I did not go to Sunday's team workout (a swim in Aquatic Park, followed by the Alcatraz run. Some might say I performed stunts 1-6 so as to avoid swimming at AP. To you naysayers, I counter: I would rather swim for three hours without a wetsuit than repeat how I felt on Sunday!)

Rest of week:
Sun 2/12 - See above
Sat 2/11 - ran 17 miles. Iron Marissa from Ironteam 04 was a total trooper and ran the first 10 with me. Thank goodness, as 17 solo would have been miserable! Felt great for entire run, though hungry and cranky near end. I ended at Albertson's, so I could buy ice for a bath, and was distraught that I did not have enough for coffee as well. (10 cents short). Considered begging, and/or puppy-dog eyes and/or "it's my birthday," but decided all three were pathetic.
Fri 2/10 - Core training at lunch. Among other things, 128 pushups, 48 of them "boy style." Will not be able to move tomorrow - I can feel the toll of three core training sessions in a week (now imagine if I did this consistently....watch out, Sheryl Crow. I want your arms!) Supposed to do short run, but bailed. Fell asleep at 9:15.
Thurs 2/9 - Swam 2000 yds at lunch. I am so ready to be done with all this running and focus back on swimming and riding...I miss them both. Felt ok, but I am slow, and I know it's from all the running.
Weds 2/8 - Core training at lunch. 128 pushups, yeah. Track workout at night - warmup, then 8 x 400s, with 400 jog in between. Motivating factor: the spring tri team for Wildflower was on the track at the same time as Ironteam. They number about 100 (a scary force on a track), so I'd run like hell to get away from them. Fastest 400: 1:37, go me. I kept up with Chris Gage for an entire lap, which is something that will never happen again (of course, he was loping along, and I was hanging on for dear life...but that's another story).
Tues 2/7 - Ran 6+ at lunch with Rhian. 70 degrees in Palo Alto, holy hell. We ran through campus, around the Dish, and back. Unfortunately I miscalculated the time, and I needed to be back for a 1 pm phone call, so we had to run at breakneck speed for the last 15 minutes to have any hope of making it back.
Mon 2/6 - Core training at lunch. Must make a commitment to this if it kills me!

2 comments:

hez said...

those aren't just wildflower peeps! kings trailers too!

hez said...

p.s. it bugs the crap outta me that sheryl crow named her stupid cd "wildflower." tsk. i hate her.