As you might have guessed, I was too damn tired to write another post after Sunday's workout-fest in San Jose. I left the house at 6:20 a.m. to get Heather, and I got back home at 5 p.m. I was in bed at 8.
So, as best my memory goes (which is not saying much), we arrived in San Jose, and got in the pool. Swam for an hour. I was lane-mates with Brian Wong and Jessica, and I usually keep up, but on Sunday...I was a bit slower. We swam 3,000 yards in that hour (a long set that totalled 1,000 - we were supposed to keep doing it until they called 'time').
Out of the pool, and we went for a run. I could definitely tell that I am far from recovered, as I ran comfortably with Heather the entire time (which was fun...just not where I usually am!). 6 - 6 1/2 miles on a trail.
Back to the high school, and we hopped onto our bikes for an hour road ride. Here's where I KNOW I am not recovered....I was just about last, again. We had a killer climb at the turn around (akin to Nasty Grade on the Wildflower course), and I was in Granny Gear by about 1/4 mile into the climb. I am shaming myself! Whatever. Rode back with Michelle, who told me all about her bike (a Specialized Roubaix), and gave a good enough sales pitch that I decided to consider it.
Here's where it all gets a little fuzzy: out onto the track for some REAL bootcamp (45 pushups, 50 situps, 30 lunges, etc), plus running. Back to the bike, on our trainers for 45 minutes. BACK to the track, more bootcamp-style calesthenics, stair running, and regular running.
Was it over? Oh, no, no, no. Back on the trainer (by now I was windburned, sunburned, cranky as hell, was working on a dehydration headache and was slightly delirious) for another 40 minutes. The highlight of the second trainer set was Assos chamois cream. I finally understand what all the fuss is about! We grumbled through....the end was in sight.
Into the pool for 30 minutes of pool running - I've never been so happy to pool run in my entire life! I don't even want to think about the amount of nasty sweat and grime we imported into that pool. Gross. Pool running over, we morphed into swimming (with a pull bouy, so as not to pull or cramp anything in our legs).
And then it was OVER! WOOOHOOOO!!!! 7 hours of swim-run-bike-run-bike-run-bike-pool run-swim. Holy hell. The weekend in sum was much, much harder than the freaking Ironman. I suppose that was the point.
The best part of the day (other than the Assos, of course): stopping at In-n-Out in Mountain View on the way home. I ate my first "double" (two beef patties, no cheese). I won't do that again. I was sated (and slightly ill) for the rest of the night.
1 comment:
When at In-and-Out you MUST get the Double-Double. I'm pretty sure that they passed a law or something about that.
Post a Comment