12.11.2006

A little chat with reality

Or more like the first visit to the scale since Ironman. Hello. I could be carrying an infant! Jesus. So, I'm getting off my arse, realizing "walking to the train" (a mile, tops), and 3 days a week running to Robin Williams' and back (if I'm lucky) does not an exercise program make. (While I'm at it, I should probably also stop the "chocolate is an ok dinner" program.)

To really hone in on my "yes, I'm out of shape" point, I recently sent an email out to the 2006 Ironteam, to see if I could get anyone to rally for a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day (I couldn't). My friend Meghan replied, though, with an innocent "how's training going?" And I swear to god, I sat there for a few minutes, wondering... "training? what's she talking about?"

Oooh. Right. I'm signed up for another freaking Ironman.

The euphoria and inspiration of September were lost somewhere on the backroads of Europe. (Someplace in a bakery in Europe is more like it.)

I've been mulling over not doing the race: I've done two, it's a huge expense, and surely I have other things I could be doing with my life (err, I mean.... I should have other things...), and this time, the motivation's all on me. But then I go and watch that silly NBC production of Ironman Hawaii, and cry my eyes out for two hours, and remember why the sport is so amazing, and why the community of people who do this sport are unlike any other. Damn you, NBC.

So I look at my calendar, send in my money for spin sessions and for Boston training with the incomparable Michael McCormack, and think maybe there's worse ways to pass a life.

I have until July 15 to still get a partial refund (there better be a decision WAY before July 15, or I am supremely screwed). Til then, I am back on the bandwagon (in my own little way), visiting the weight room, recalling what it's like to run more than an hour, and contemplating pumping up my bike tires. The pool is going to have to wait. Spinning starts January 4. Boston training started yesterday. Sooner or later....I'll be back!

PS - before all you smartasses (you know who you are) send me emails about how I just ran a marathon, blah blah, yes, I know that. But the pants don't lie - and right now I wish they did!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mo, you and I are so similar it's scarey! Funny that on that fateful day during the run portion of Ironman Canada, we had so much in common, but now I read your blog and laugh... I'm going through the same issues!

Check out the similarities:
http://shanquinn-ironman-07.blogspot.com/

Anyway, I think you made the right decision on the upcoming Ironman! I know you are going to do awesome! Keep up the hard work and enjoy every moment of it! Ironman Canada continues to be the best day of my life, so I'm jealous you get to experience it again!