I started this post whining and moaning about how out of shape I am, and how I've gained 8-10 lbs since Ironman USA (yikes). As I neared the end, I realized that today is the 5th anniversary of Louie Bonpua's death. Five years. I'm sure there were days when Louie felt fat, nasty, and out of shape. But I suspect the majority of his days he spent grateful that he was still here, able to breathe, and ready to open his eyes. I don't miss the daily rigor of being part of Ironteam, but I do miss the reality checks of what's truly important.
So take two of my woe-is-me post begins: 12 weeks, or 84 days, til I toe the line with my lifelong dream of running the Boston Marathon. So is it pathetic that I have run no more than 82 minutes since November? Hmmm.... maybe. Maybe not. I had renewed vigor for training the week of January 8, with plans to visit Marisa, Geoff, and Jasmine in Scottsdale for MLK weekend and run the Rock n Roll Half Marathon. Alas, I was sidelined with strep throat, and had to cancel the trip at the very last minute. I spent the weekend eating soup and watching terrible tv ("My Super Sweet 16": worst show on television. These ladies are in for a rude awakening once they leave the nest!).
It took the majority of last week to really feel back "on" again, at which time I was sidelined by inertia. (either that or the now 10- TEN!!!! - lbs I seemed to have gained since finishing IMUSA. This is so not ok for so many reasons I can't list them.)
So. Twelve weeks to go. Not even going to think of the number of weeks to go til IM Canada. A lot, so not gonna worry about it. Karen and I have promised to email one another at the start of each week with our "plan" for the week, of how we'll fit each workout in.
Sunday: volunteered for Ironteam's annual "Louie Tri," which turned out to be the "Louie Du" as the water was 47 degrees, and even Ironteam has some limits of sanity. Felt great to see everyone; the majority of us sat around comparing guts and how low we estimated our tire pressure on our bikes to be (mine: 40 psi. Supposed to be 110! A fine layer of dust covered my whole bike...poor gal). In the afternoon, I taught my friends how to ride with clipless pedals. Karmic circle on cycling (opened Feb 2003) now officially closed. Felt awesome to be back on the bike. Been away much too long!
Today: M2's "Treadmill Track" workout. Oh my. Hard! Total 6.5 miles. After 20 min warmup, did 2x1' at 7.2 mph, with 1' at 6.6 mph between each. Then did 2x3' intervals, alternating speed and incline as per his instructions. RI 1' between each. Repeat everything x3. Whew!
I showered and was back at my desk by 2:15 (in all fairness I didn't leave til 12:45) -- but my colleague did ask about my sopping wet hair.
Day 1 back on track, complete! Tonight I'll head to the dog shelter to walk my favorite pooch, Dusty, who I hope will soon be adopted.
Rest of week:
Tues: lift (lunch and dinner plans)
Weds: Total Body Training II - aka, PAIN
Thurs: Spin at night - lactate threshold test, ought to hurt!
Fri: not sure yet, as have staff retreat all day. Either run at 5 a.m. (not likely) or after work.
Sat: 2 hr trail run, lift
Sun: RIDE
1 comment:
Keep it up, Mo! I love the new look of the site! :)
Post a Comment