I survived Saturday's trail race with all limbs in tact. Mission accomplished.
About 400 people total entered the race, and a good 80% of them did the 12k. The other 20% (moronic fools) did the entire 25k - guess which segment I was in? The race basically consisted of 2-3 miles straight uphill, 1 mile flat, another mile uphill, and 2 miles downhill. Then repeat. The course was brutal, and so I walked 3-4 times on the second lap, but still finished within a few minutes of my first lap, so I was pretty stoked. The fog never cleared, so although we were promised breathtaking views of the SF skyline, they never materialized. I was just as glad, as the course was tough and it would have easily become unbearable in the heat.
Last year the winning time in my age group was 2:44. I beat that by 20 minutes, but was only 6th (of 9) in my AG! The winning time this year in the AG was 2:04 (!!!) and overall was 1:41 (the website has a guy that says he did it in 1:06...but since that would be a world record for the distance by over six minutes, I highly doubt it's correct.) The best part about running in a trail race was how amazing my joints felt - so great to take a break from asphalt. The second best part was the race organizer (Dave from Envirosports) made banana bread for everyone to enjoy at the end. Woo!
No comments:
Post a Comment