On the way to the train this morning, tea in hand, plenty of time to spare, I turned down Jones. Soon before me flew a large seagull, heading straight for my windshield. Usually at the last possible second said bird, generally a pigeon, but on occassion a seagull, will fly up, up, and away.
Only this time, the seagull flew - splat-thump-crunch - straight into the bike rack on top of my car. Loud thump, feathers flying, I screamed (mostly because I was so shocked he didn't gain enough clearance, but also because I had the horrifying thought that he might have dented my new car). I could see feathers streaming down the back, but I couldn't stop the car: I was now in the druggie/homeless corridor along Sixth street, and I didn't want to miss my train. But most of all, I didn't want to get out and see a SEAGULL CARCASS lying atop my roof.
I drove the rest of the way to CalTrain, took a deep breath, and got out of the car.
No carcass. Wet residue of seagull innards, yes. Marks where the impact actually MOVED THE THULE RACK backwards. But no carcass. Thank goodness.
Somewhere, in the bowels of the Tenderloin, where Golden Gate meets Jones, lies my victim.
Little Seagull, I am very sorry.
But you are freaking stupid.
Oh, and I signed up to run CIM December 2. Let's hope I don't throw yet another entry fee away!
(I suppose this is a good way to find out if anyone still reads this silly blog! Other than RPR, of course!)
7 comments:
RIP, seagull.
And you KNOW I read your blog.
i still read the blog!
not that i've updated mine in the past 6 weeks!
today was freshmen move in day
i am damn tired,,,
can't wait for classes to start on tuesday
and now i'm going to bed :)
I'm reading! I'm reading! Long time no talk. Bummer about the seagull -- I went through rural FL this weekend and offed a bunch of dragonflies but had to laugh at one that was positioned perfectly centered on my bumper with wings spread. It was like a supercool hood ornament. The Saturn Dragonfly.
OMG I am sick. Poor birdy. Last Friday I came home to my cat killing a pigeon with his bare hands...or jaws. Birdies have it rough!
I really should read more often, cuz you're funny.
Sorry 'bout the birdy and your Thule rack. -MCHC
So happy I checked this after a many month hiatus - you are hysterical and a gifted writer! Go Mo!! -t2
I am just catching up on your blog. You crack me up. You are a very talented writer. I still need to get caught up to November.
Miss ya in CO!--Sara L. :)
Post a Comment