Always.
Remember those trick questions you'd get in elementary school, where all they were really testing was your ability to follow instruction? (the last question: ignore all the previous questions).
This morning I got up early, and carted my computer and assorted crap to a coffee shop. I jockeyed for tables, switching a full four times before I was fully settled (outside 1: babies on either side; outside 2: lady weeping to a friend about her desire - or not - to go to law school and also some relationship problems; inside 1: glare on the screen, no outlet, inside 2: money. I stayed put.) I ate a breakfast burrito and drank a huge chai. I completed this crazy man's helpful "self-reflection" that he suggests you complete prior to writing any admission essays to get in touch with yourself and your motivations.
Then I hunkered down and wrote for four and a half freaking hours. One question. I create and edit as I go. Finally, it was good enough to send on to Chris. I opened it up one more time for a read-through, to make sure it made sense. I got ready to send him and email, and attached ClearAdmit's analysis of Duke's question. Can't remember what it says, so I reread Clear Admit's post. And what do I see?
Duke's question for entry in Fall 2008 is not what I just spent four plus hours answering.
Sort of, yes. But I wrote about Fall 2007's question (since it's Fall 2007 now, I made an easy mistake). Fall 2008 combines the '07 question with another question - and yet it's still supposed to be less than a page. Eleven years of work history, career goals, and why I need a Duke MBA in ONE PAGE???? In five point font, maybe.
Wrong freaking question. Good thing I'm working on my work computer or I might have thrown it into the road.
Total for week: 28 miles, lifting once, one spin. Feeling ok, still slow, and I don't know if it's realistic to think I can get in Boston shape with only 9 weeks left to go. I ran 12 miles yesterday - it was hilly as all get out. These are hills I avoid when DRIVING: I've certainly never tried to run up them! My booty and my quads both hurt by the time I finished, so on the way home, I went straight to the store to buy ice. Only some guy was in line with every last bag of ice. I strolled up and asked him how committed he was to buying all of the bags. He very nicely parted with one. Crisis averted.
Wish the freaking essay was that easy! It was good, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment