6.03.2009

Summer in the city...

I am on week 3 of my job in NYC, so I guess I could update for Ryan and Hez. And now there's more to say than "I am failing all my classes." I am feeling like quite the lil' city gal, wearing my running shoes and commuting on the subway and whatnot. I am still not completely sure what I am doing in my job, but I ask a lot of questions, am learning a lot, and am just going to have faith it will all work out.

In theory I will update this with all the fabulous things I am doing...in reality, we'll see. I am very happy to be working out more routinely, having joined the insanely expensive (justified only because my rent is actually cheap, and paid for by my internship) gym that is close to my house. Somehow I have gone out every night this week - which is truly remarkable when you consider I am a total homebody who does not actually even like going out!

This weekend I walked around a bunch - and took a 3 hour nap on Saturday. Sunday I ran for 45 minutes, went to the gym to lift, read the entire Sunday NY Times on the lawn, went to the MoMA and saw a photography exhibit, and met some of my fellow interns at the 79th Street Boat Basin Cafe.

Monday, met my friend Katie for (yet another) meal at the Shake Shack (still doesn't hold a candle to In-n-Out, but I did enjoy it more this time than the last). Walked around to Union Square, and then had cupcakes at Billy's (also better the second time than the first. Maybe I am too darn judgmental. Or maybe their chocolate cupcakes are just better than the Red Velvet (which I insist on calling "Red Devil")).

Tuesday, we had a work happy hour ("networking") for all of the interns in our group to meet the other hiring managers. Met some interesting people. Felt super grateful that I am totally at ease talking to strangers.

Tonight, meeting a Stanford friend who is in town for work at Fusion, and tomorrow, going to a Fuqua happy hour at a bar in the West Village. And then Friday, off to Boston for my cousin's graduation weekend!

Thank god I am actually finding the motivation to work out in the morning.... I should note the Food Network studios are right next door to the gym, so I am keeping my eye out for some Food celebrities like Ina or Giadia or ??? whoever is on those shows.

2 comments:

Katie said...

please say hello to alton brown
if you see him outside of chelsea market

going to look at the super fancy new apartments downtown now
after 8 years of no rent checks
i'm starting to have some palpitations
about signing a lease
(and let's not even discuss the 10-minute phase when i thought about buying something)

see you in august!!

and btw, best word verification
katersiz
which i believe means
to make something katie sized

Mama M said...

Ahem. I read your blog, too. I actually figured out (after, what? two years?) that I can have a little thingy tell me when you have a new posting. Am I tech-savvy or what? ;)