I did soak up all of NYC living, and had a great time. As anyone who saw Ritu's and my apartment can attest, we were living in fantasy NYC. Our apartment was giant, and subsidized (let's hear it for the Episcopals!), and gorgeous.

Chelsea was amazing, and I joined the beautiful gym at Equinox only 3 blocks away. Lots of friends visited, from Stanford colleagues to SF roomies to my brother to Turkey dog (and her chaperones). I also got to hang with the original Hezza and her fabulous husband and their new bebe.

One of the best things about my internship (besides the regular paycheck and subsidized cafeteria) was that my Amex id gave me free admission to just about any museum in NYC. I made certain to take advantage of this and visited a million museums - some I'd been to before, others I hadn't. Because I don't have much to say, I will list them:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (been there tons before, went there 3x this summer)
- Museum of Modern Art (hadn't been since high school)
- The Cloisters (LOVE! Fabulous! Thank you, amazing Rockefeller family!)
- The Frick (Eh. Glad it was free.)
- The Whitney (my college art museum is bigger than this)
- The Guggenheim
- International Center for Photography
- Rubin Museum of Art (Himalayan art, kinda cool)
I am pretty sure there were some others, but I can't recall them now.
The most touristy thing I did all summer was the 3-hr Circle Line tour, which is a boat that sails all the way around Manhattan. Touristy, yes, but it was also kind of cool. My friends Megan and Dale joined me on the ride around the island.
The Amex building is the tallest one on the left with the pyramid on top...I worked on the 34th floor. The gaping hole to the right of it is where the North Tower of the WTC used to stand (and it was literally 2x as tall as my 51-story building...if you can imagine that!).The Circle Line also likes to talk about how it was one of the first responders at the Miracle on the Hudson back in January...it was also one of the first responders at the crash of the helicopter and plane 2 weeks ago. Such a first responder, in fact, that when my friend Jonathan and I looked out at the Hudson (about 2 minutes after the crash) we actually thought it was the Circle Line boat that was sinking. But as the police and rescue copters/trucks/boats started to arrive, they sent the Circle Line away, and it soon became apparent that was not it at all.
Now I am back in Durham and settling into the life of an unemployed student on vacation. By which I mean: sleeping til 11, going to the gym, walking the dog, and going grocery shopping at 6 stores in 2 days to fill up my cabinets and refrigerator (hello, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco, SuperTarget, Kroger, and Harris Teeter! And no, the same thing can't be had at all of those stores! Welcome back to suburbia!). It's 95 degrees and humid outside, so I am also required to watch 4-5 hours of crap tv daily as well. Which means now it's time for Access Hollywood and a beer (because for all its charms, you can't get no stinkin' Fat Tire beer in NYC!).
1 comment:
hooray for an update!
picked up apt keys yesterday
which means move on monday
wrote my 1st rent check in 8yrs
hmm, perhaps i should have saved up all that money i didn't spend on rent??
looking forward to an NC visit!
Post a Comment