This.
On Saturday after a ride - first ride on the W&OD, not actually as scary or traffic-filled as I've feared for the past year, and actually kind of nice - I noticed my Bad Ankle was looking a little weird. Like, swelling out like a tumor on its side. Hmm. On Sunday I ran 17 with the group, and felt great. Love how the miles go so much faster when you're running with 5 others. I even used my new fancy sweat-sucking $15 Feetures which kept me from getting sweat-sloshy til about mile 16 (a vast improvement over the past few weeks. I could still wring them out once we were done, but it wasn't a geyser). Anyway. Near the end I could feel something and when I pulled off the compression beauties....voila. Same tumor-like growth, which all of my running buds could see.
I went home and took an ice bath, and tried not to think about it. Actually, I was in the midst of looking up orthopedists that are runner-friendly when my computer died. Died, dead, done. Cooked. I spent the next 3.5 hrs at my friend's apt, as he tried to save it. He saved all the documents (hooray!) but the hard drive is dead. So couldn't think about next steps til I arrived at work on Monday.
Long story short, my friend's friend was able to get me in with a runner-friendly orthopedic practice (that happens to specialize in foot/ankle AND happens to be on my insurance, glory be) this week. They think I've re-torn the tendon, and if I keep running, it will tear off the bone. SO, MRI for me on Monday night to see whether or not it's torn, and in the boot til Sept 19 at least.
F.
I was psyched for Parks, on Sept 11. MCM is not totally out, but if they don't think I am totally healed I don't want to risk it just for another notch on my belt. And I really, really don't want another 6-12 month layoff from running.
In the meantime, I must find bathing suit and get into pool for water run, and I'm allowed to ride (stationary and real bike). But really, the greatest test of all is going to be Metro. It took me 30 minutes to walk my normal 10 min loop with the dog last night, so I can only imagine how long it's going to take me to get to work. I probably should have left already!
2 comments:
Take it easy! I hope it heals soon and that you don't tear off the bone...that would suck! - Ryan's friend Robine.
Bummer Mo, I can so relate! I have a bad case of patellar tendinitis myself and haven't logged a solid mile since the Douple Dipsea in June. Take it easy!! xoxo Min
Post a Comment