I've survived three days of orientation, which included non-stop hours of lectures, team-building, and partying. I got very little sleep (apparently this is a fairly accurate sample of what the next two years will be like).
I'm part of Section 1 (there are 6 sections, but obviously 1 is the best one to be in), and in Team 4. My 5 other teammates are a reflection of the diversity of Fuqua - one other woman, who is a marketer from China; a naval officer from Southern California; a civil engineer from New Jersey, by way of India; a sales guy from South Korea; and (I forget what he does), also from India.
We spent part of Saturday afternoon on a scavenger hunt all over the Durham area, for things like: photo of teammate swimming across Eno River - that was me; Duke Blue mani/pedi; photo of Top of the Hill (Chapel Hill/UNC bar), a shaved male leg, etc. I taught one of my teammates how to shave his legs, and then drove while he painted his nails in my backseat.
Last night we ended things with an 80s party, which for me was just like reliving junior high. Half of these kids were BORN in the 80s. And they wondered why my outfit was so authentic... actually, scarily enough, I bought it all at Target last night. But I had the knowledge to make my hair authentic, which is really what put it over the top! It was a bit like reliving my RA days at CTY, which is to say, it was a lot of fun and I came home sweaty with my ears ringing. The upside of it not being CTY is that I didn't have to break up any teen makeout sessions; downside: I am not getting paid to stay out late dancing.
I'm not cut out for Wall Street because this evening while my laundry was in, I sat down to write my thank you notes to the folks at Morgan Stanley. At which point I realized their business cards were in my shorts pocket (which were of course, by that point, in the dryer). I'd wondered what the paper parts were from when I took the things out of the wash! Sorry, you three nice people at Morgan. I didn't mean to do it!
The Global Institute begins tomorrow at 8 a.m. In what may NOT be a good portent of things to come, it is nearly midnight and I have not yet completed all of the pre-assignments. I'm also supposed to finish a case write-up for my team, so we can review it after class.
No comments:
Post a Comment