7.31.2008

Reasons the NC DMV sucks

I changed my license and registration thinking it would be so much CHEAPER in NC than in CA.
Um, not so much.

1) Yesterday I was robbed when I switched my plates. They charge you an automatic $150 if you are out of state, plus the licensing and title fees (total $223, or more than I will spend on food in a month). But I'd already switched my license and my insurance, so I didn't have a choice, and I surrendered the CA plate.

2) Today I got my State Farm bill, and it's $100 more than the quote, or approximately the same amount I was paying in CA. I checked with my agent, and the ticket I got in 2006 (a bogus damn moto-cop who was having a bad day) has now shown up on my record -- it never showed up in CA, but in NC it's counted as a 1-point violation. So until March 2010, I get to pay elevated insurance.

3) On the back of my registration there's a note saying that within 90 days I will be getting a bill for the taxation on my car. (Which I paid when I bought the freaking car last year in CA). So that will be another $500. Which I will be getting from where??????

NC, I am trying very, very hard to like you. But right now I hate you an awful lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WTF NC? Isn't that double taxation (without representation, and it's not fair), since you've already pd taxes in CA?

Sheesh, there's nickel and diming, and then there's taking the benjamins!