7.15.2008

Sights Seen on Way to Virginia

Because I just missed the interior of my car SO much, I drove 200+ miles to my parents' in Virginia. It's all on back roads (no direct route) so it took almost 4 hours. Boy did I miss having my mama as a co-pilot!

Here's what I saw along the way.
1) Confederate Flag (1)
2) "Inmates Working" signs (1); inmate hacking weeds (1)
3) Prison guard with AK-47 watching inmate (1)
4) Out-of-state plates (5 total - 1 AZ, 1 WV, 1 PA and 2 FL). With CA plates I may as well have a giant "stop me" sign on the side of the car!
5) Cops (3)
6) $3.87/gal gas (1)
7) Rednecks (7,546)

I ran last night with some people in a running group I found online. We ran about 5.5 miles, and they were very nice. I wish the runs were early in the morning (say, 6 or 7 a.m. instead of 5:30 p.m., when it is ultra-steamy and sauna-like outside), but it was great to have some company and to actually get moving again.

The bad news - apparently "it's not hot yet." Excuse me? These nice people said it doesn't "really get hot" til August and September. Fuqua did NOT put this in the freaking brochures. Guess it's time to find my swimsuit. Northern California has definitely made this gal a big softy (though the runners did complement me for hanging in there - maybe there is some Virginian left in my blood after all!).

Though for the record, it's about 20% LESS humidity in VA right now than it was in Durham this morning!!! The A/C isn't even turned on in the house!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you *have* gotten soft! Or dry, maybe :) It's true, it's a much diff feel than the bay area (whose dryness always makes my skin break out), but you'll get used to it. Plus, in no time it'll be winter, and it'll be so dry your skin hurts! Yay! :)